The New Mexico Space Grant Pre-Service Teaching (PST) Undergraduate Studies Scholarship is intended for undergraduate students who have declared an education teaching major. Students must be enrolled full-time at an accredited university in New Mexico. The funding period is to start during the student teaching semester. The PST scholarship aims at supporting aspiring teachers in designing and developing a NASA science or match resource unit plan. The unit plan will be taught during the student teaching semester.
PST scholarship applicants will be considered for any K-12 grade level and any subject matter*. The resource unit plan must relate to NASA’s unique mission of research and discovery as a framework for inspiration and student learning. The resource unit plan must also relate to Common Core State Standards (NM STEM Ready! Science Standards and NM Instructional Scope for Language Arts, Math and Science) applicable to the grade level. For specific requirements, please see application.
As it is true with all NMSGC programs, the participation of minorities, women, and persons with disabilities is strongly encouraged.
Space Grant Pre-Service Teaching Undergraduate Studies Scholarship award for pre-service teachers: $2,500/semester for only ONE semester.
*The integration level of NASA-related materials and students’ level of engagement opportunities connected to NASA missions, themes or STEM Engagement programs is more important that the subject matter taught.
1. U.S. Citizenship
2. Full-time enrollment during award period (minimum of 12 credit 3. hours/semester)
4. Major in Education
5. Minimum 3.0 Cumulative GPA
1. Must complete student teaching semester during award period
2. Must have STEM-integrated resource unit plan
3. Must submit a 1-page summary of student-teaching semester and evaluation of unit plan.
4. Must present STEM-integrated unit plan at the Annual Virtual Student Research Colloquium
5. Must complete 10 hours of community service
6. Must notify NMSGC if ineligible
7. Provide short-video testimonial if requested by NMSGC office
The application closes on April 11, 2022.